Clutter has become a part of the family, huh? And it’s just not fitting in.
Every time you see it, it just sucks the life out of you. A real bummer.
Your energy level goes down faster than a child on a playground sliding board.
You feel defeated.
You just can’t stand it.
Sometimes it just too much to take in.
Don’t worry. It is not the end all be all. Using these tips can have you living in a decluttered home in no time.
Have you heard one of these sayings before?
- You have to commit.
- It takes commitment.
- You have to be committed.
- Unless you commit …
- Change happens with commitment.
Well, it’s true. You have to be committed and take the first step.
1. Commit to “Do the Work”
Let’s face it friends, sometimes it’s hard to let things go. They have sentimental value or it was a great bargain. But you have to ask yourself the tough questions.
- Do you really need it?
- Can you hang on to the memories?
- How many times will you ever use it?
Think about it. Really think about it.
2. Make a Plan for Your Decluttering Process
If you have decided to move forward, consider having a detailed plan. A plan can save you time and help you accomplish your goals in an orderly way.
How many times have you planned to do something, but you got distracted and started doing something else? When you try to go back to the original task, you just can’t remember. I know it has happened to me.
A plan can assist with this lapse in memory.
With a plan, you can get organized. Outline the rooms you want to declutter. You can specify the tasks for each room. You can list a schedule for each chore to be completed.
Sounds like a great idea, right?
I know some sites that may be able to help.
Here is a list of sites that can help you make a plan that just right for you.
- 101 Items to Get Rid of Without Regret – Organising My Life
- Organizing Checklist – Declutter Your Home in 31 Days – The Country Chic Cottage
- How to Declutter an Entire Room in 5 Simple Steps: My Organized Office | Day 10: 30 Days to Less of a Hot Mess – The Turquoise Home
- 250+ Things to Throw Away – A House full of Sunshine
- Free 30 Day Decluttering Challenge – She Saved
3. Take Action: Start Decluttering Your Home
You have decided that you want to simplify your life. You’ve taken the steps to make the commitment and developed a plan. You’re inspired. You’re a believer and you’re ready.
So get started. As my son says, “You can do it“. But just don’t take his word for it, here are a few motivational quotes to remember as you move towards a clutter-free home.
- “I can and I will.” Unknown
- “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” Confucius
- “Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” Theodore Roosevelt
- “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” Nelson Mandela